Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Loss of Prancer

Yesterday was the most difficult day of my life.  The Rhodesian Ridgeback that my family has had for many years has passed away.

To me she was more than just a dog.  She was a person, with many quirks, and was a treasured member of my family.  Prancer was a loving, cuddly dog.  In spite of her size, she believed that she was a lapdog and would always climb unto the couch to cuddle and to give hugs.  Like a cat, she would rub her face against people that she loved.  She was friendly with strangers and always wanted to jump up and say hello.

She was a real drama queen and attention hound. When she wasn't in the center of attention, or when she wanted something, she would whine.  She had a different whine for different situations.  She also seemed to understand so much of English, and would understand when we were talking about food, or going on a journey in the car.  Both were things that she loved so much.  She also and a strange love of chips, sweet breads, and crunchy, salty foods.

 She was truly as unique and as loved as any person.  I have never lost anyone as close to me as she was; I've never cried so much.  My home and my heart seems so empty without. It will difficult to come home everyday, expecting her to come greet my family at the door only to find the place empty, or to wake up in the morning and hoping that she will be on her bed.  Sometimes I hear a sound that reminds me of her, and my throughout constricts as tears come to my eyes.  You'll be missed, precious Prancer.  I hope you are happy, and that your spirit is playing up there in animal heaven.

6 comments:

  1. My condolences :( It's always hard to lose a friend like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. I think losing your first pet is the hardest, but it's only because you loved her so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww no... I'm so sorry to hear this. They truly do become family. Big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss. Dogs are heartbreak waiting to happen. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for your loss. Our pets are real members of our family, no doubt about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading this post! I love to hear from and interact with my readers; it's what makes blogging worth it, so please comment and let me know what you think.