Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pony Club Game Night and Bareback Ride

 Yesterday evening I went to my first Pony Club activity, a game night, which was really fun. I met some nice girls and enjoyed having a fun, relaxing ride. Chester also seemed to enjoy himself. After tacking Chester I had a safety check from Meghan(Pony Club girls need one before mounting) then warmed up with the other girls, riding walk and trot. The girls that could confidently canter and control their cantering horse in a group took turns cantering, then the games began.

 The first game was an egg on a spoon race. Everyone was given an egg and a spoon and had to ride from end of the arena to the other at the walk. Most people made it to the other side, including myself, so we tried it at the trot. I ended up losing my egg as soon as I asked for the trot transition. One girl, Maddie managed to do it cantering.

Long reach!
Pole bending
 Next, we played a pole bending relay game in which we had to pole bend to the end of the arena, circle around a cone and grab the apple on it, bend back, drop it in a bucket, then tag our next teammate. When grabbing the apple we can't halt and have to continue moving. I was the second to go on my team, trotting Chester in between the poles. I slowed down as I neared the cone but had to circle it twice to reach the apple; Chester is tall. I trotted back, dropped the apple in the bucket, and tagged my next teammate.
Dropping apple in bucket
 The next game was similar, except we had hold two apples, one in each hand, and steer the horse using only our legs. Clearly more than one of us, including me, have to work on guiding the horse with our seat and legs. I only weaved him around the first pole before Chester decided he was too smart for the game and walked straight to the bucket full of apples.
I think this is when I'm trying with two apples, though
you can't see the other.
 After that, we played another pole bending game where you have to get a partner and each hold the end of a rope, weaving through the poles together. I was going to try that game, but standing beside my partner waiting to go, I noticed Chester seemed nervous about it so I decided to sit that game out.

 The next game was really fun. It was called Musical Dressage Cones and was played just like musical chairs, except on horseback! I was lucky enough to near cones when the music stopped the first two times, but the third time I had to race another girl across the arena to grab C. I was in the lead a couple strides from the cone until the other girl cantered, but I ended up getting it because only the last two people can canter. the next time I had to race another girl but ended up being knocked out. I really loved this game, and so did Chester, except for being a little nervous when I rode past the loud stereo.
Musical dressage cones

 Finally, we played a bareback dollar game: everyone has to ride bareback and sit on a dollar bill. Whoever keeps it the longest wins. I was a little bit nervous about it at first but Meghan convinced to me to try it. It was fun, though Chester's back is bony. I only rode at the walk because it was my first time and lost my bill somewhere in the arena. One girl, who rides bareback often, kept hers through the canter, winning the game.
Bareback!
Holding the dollar for the game. My leg was better when I started waling.



 I had an awesome time at the Pony Club event and can't wait until the next activity.
Group picture.

9 comments:

Thank you for reading this post! I love to hear from and interact with my readers; it's what makes blogging worth it, so please comment and let me know what you think.