Saturday, May 3, 2014

Ouch! I Fell off During my Dressage Lesson + an Opportunity with Owning a Horse

 For this week's riding lesson, I worked on dressage Intro Test C with Ginger. I warmed her up with walk-halt transitions riding around the arena twice before entering the portioned off dressage court. I trotted around it several times. Ginger needed a bit of encouraging sometimes, but she was otherwise great.

Next, I went through Intro Dressage Test C for the first time on Ginger. I trotted down center line, halted and saluted, then continued toward C, turning right and riding down the long side of the arena. I rode a 20 meter circle at B, then another at A, skipping out the canter part. I then rode across the diagonal of the arena, turned left, then made two more 20 meter circles, one at E and another A. At P, I slowed to a walk and rode to H. Finally, I trotted down the long side, turned down center line, and halted and saluted at G.

After that I rode Ginger on a long rein around the dressage court to give both of us a break. When I was ready, Meghan said I could do some cantering, something I hadn't done with Ginger before. I rode toward C and began a 20 meter circle in the trot. At the S-R line, I began cantering. I did only a few times on each circle.

What Meghan noticed is that my heels weren't down, so when Ginger stopped, I would lose my balance. That is what caused the next event. When I was cantering near M, Ginger slowed down, and I went somersaulting over her head, landing on a wooden ground pole the marked the dressage court. Unlike last time, this fall hurt. The part above my right hip hurt a lot, and I knew at once that it would lead a terrible bruise. Meghan ran over to me and told me to take deep breathes and up slowly. Once one my feet, I walked over to the mounting block, limping slightly. I'll probably be very sore tomorrow.

I remounted, and Meghan led Ginger back over to C, where I began circling to the right at the walk. I trotted around once, then slowed to the walk and changed directions and trotted to the left. Then I rode Ginger out of the arena and rode around the barn and dismounted by the entrance. I untacked, brushed her out, and put her away. I'm still a bit sore, although not badly injured.

In good news, Meghan found a horse that would good for me. He is a 17.3hh warmblood, Largo, who is trained in high level dressage and can leg-yield, half-pass, and do lead changes. He is a 20 year old schoolmaster and Meghan said he would be able to win some blue ribbons. Largo would be able to teach me dressage and give me skills I will need to move on to other disciplines, such as eventing, something I want to do someday. We haven't finalized anything yet, but my parents and I are talking it over.

4 comments:

  1. You are a tough cookie! Lago sounds like a great opportunity too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, he is does sound like a great horse. Even Meghan said she wants him. :)

      Delete
  2. Glad you are okay after your fall! It's always tough, but it's part of the sport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's exactly what Meghan said, and it's true.

      Delete

Thank you for reading this post! I love to hear from and interact with my readers; it's what makes blogging worth it, so please comment and let me know what you think.