Sunday, December 29, 2013

Runnin' in Circles

 Saturday's lesson brought a lot of learning. When I arrived at the barn, I went to fetch Reno, who was lying on his stomach at the back of his paddock, napping. I had to nudge him to make him get up. Then I brought him to the grooming stall to clean him and tack him up. Like last time, I used the dressage saddle.

 I warmed up by riding Reno around the arena at the walk, doing several walk-halt transitions at places I designated myself, rather than places Meghan told my to halt at. Then, I changed directions and gradually worked up to trotting. As usual, I started by doing corners, then short ends, and then long ends. Once I finished doing that, Meghan introduced something new to me: circles. She described how the typical dressage court consists of three adjacent 20 meter circles, each marked by several letters and lines.

 I practiced the circle with the points at C, H, between S and R, and M at the walk, then did it at the trot several times. Next, I did the S-R, E, L, and B circle at the walk and then the trot. Once I had done those several times, Meghan asked me if I knew how to do a figure eight. I guessed how to do it, and then Meghan had me execute it. After that, I moved on to doing the final circle in the court at the walk and then the trot. I did the figure eight involving it and then learned how to a serpentine. I did that once, at the trot.

 Meghan explained to me the importance of learning circles, telling me it is useful to learn how early on in case I will need to use them with another instructor or when showing.

 After finishing the serpentine, I dropped my stirrups and rode around the dressage half of the arena(As I have said before, the arena is cut in half lengthwise using poles, with one half marked with dressage letters) at the walk. Once I did that, I exited the arena, turning left toward where the trailers are parked when people bring their horses to the ranch. In this area is a steep ditch. Meghan had me practice riding hills on that ditch before riding around the barn and the adjacent pasture to to cool down like I usually do. This time, I rode in the opposite way I usually do.

 Overall, it was an awesome lesson with a lot of learning. I really enjoyed myself and can't wait to find out what I'll learn next time.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great lesson with lots of progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome! I even got a video I can post later.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a very cool lesson :) Hopefully you do post the video!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading this post! I love to hear from and interact with my readers; it's what makes blogging worth it, so please comment and let me know what you think.